Everyone loves nick nacks and intriguing gadgets, don’t they? Of the kind you find in kitchen shops or outdoor shops? I could spend hours in outdoor shops, and I don’t even like walking in the countryside. Ironic given I live on a farm. (I much prefer walking round towns with everything to see than across fields, just don’t tell my OH!).
Each year we have an annual camping trip with friends (mostly mums and the kids), and every time I get out my essentials list and work out what needs replacing or what I’d like to buy. There’s always something extra to add to your equipment stash – whether we’ve had tent or equipment envy from the previous year’s camping trip, or I’ve spotted something new.
Apart from a love of shopping, I think my love of camping equipment stems from childhood. Firstly Guide camps. I went on two and neither were particularly successful. The first I ended up with a flu type illness as we were taking tents down. The second time I ended up being sick thanks to poorly cooked burgers. But it didn’t put me off. My brother and I spent many a summer pitched out and sleeping in our 2 man tent in the garden. Every week or so we had to re-pitch it so the grass was given time to recover.
As well as bricks and mortar shops, we now have the luxury of online shopping which is always handy when buying bulky things. Blacks online has plenty of options for everyone whether new to camping and trying it out in their back garden, festival goers or those who regularly go camping. They’re also running a fun Campsite Characters campaign over the summer, so do let me know which character you are.
Getting a good night’s sleep is so important in enjoying camping. The first night is always hard, but usually I find the rest I get a good night sleep (except maybe this trip because there was so much wind). So don’t scrimp on bedding.
You’ve got several options for bedding when camping:
1, Air bed, self-inflating bedding mat or camp bed.
I’m not a fan of air beds, and wouldn’t use one if I didn’t have an electronic pump to use in the car, but my back no longer copes with a thinner self-inflating mat. The days of foam bedding rolls are no longer for me. A camp bed can also be a good idea if you’d rather be off the ground and don’t mind being restricted to a specific sized bed.
2, Sleeping bag or duvets
Most people go for sleeping bags. For starters they’re made for the relevant temperatures, are available different sizes (junior, square, mummy, single, double, zip together etc) and take up much less room in a car than a duvet does. Plus you might only need a pillow and blanket, no other bed linen needed. But some people just take their duvets for a more home from home feel. Personally we’re sleeping bags all the way (although mine is very tight round my body now – a sign I need to lose weight as I prefer to be able to move inside my bag).
You may have the best sleeping bag but some people prefer to be ultra-warm at night, and if you’ve room it’s worth taking a blanket to pop over your sleeping bag just in case.
Blacks have a good selection of sleeping bags from outdoor brands like Berghaus and Eurohike and I’m giving away 2 Berghaus sleeping bags in my latest giveaway. You can enter by answering the question
‘What would be your camping essential – real or otherwise (not including a tent) – what would it be and why?’
Leave your answer in the comments, then complete the rafflecopter widget to confirm your entry. There are also bonus entries.
Terms and conditions
- The prize promotion is open to all UK residents (not including residents of Northern Ireland) aged 18 years or over except employees (and their families) of Blacks and any affiliates or subsidiary companies, as well as anyone else who may be involved or connected with the prize promotion. Any entries submitted by agents or third parties will be invalid and will not be accepted by the Promoter.
- Giveaway closes 11.59pm 3rd September 2017
- Entries will be validated according to the rules of entry
- There will be 1 prize consisting of 1 Berghaus Transition 200 Sleeping Bag and 1 Berghaus Women’s Transition 200W Sleeping Bag. ALL PRIZES ARE SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY.
- The data of anyone that enters won’t be passed on to any third parties or used for any unsolicited marketing communications.
- This giveaway is in no way associated with Facebook or any other social media.
- Winner will be randomly chosen, and will be shown on this post. Further notifications of the winner may be shared on social media.
- The winners will be notified via email, and will need to respond with their postal address within 3 weeks otherwise a further winner will be drawn.
- The prize must be taken as offered. No cash equivalent or other alternative prize(s) are available in whole or in part except as provided for in these terms and conditions.The Promoter reserves the right to substitute prize(s) of an equivalent value should the prize(s) become unavailable for any reason.
10 Prizes will be sent out from the Prize provider: Blacks Outdoor Retail Limited (company number 7795258) (t/a “Millets”) of Hollinsbrook Way, Pilsworth, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 8RR
- This giveaway may be featured on Loquax, Prizefinder and Superlucky
Disclosure: Blacks have provided prizes for this giveaway. All words are my own.