Mummy gets my bag ready for nursery the night before, but I like to include my own things just as we’re walking out of the door. Anything to cause hassle and panic is great fun, although there is the danger of getting shouted at.
The things mummy says we need to include are:
- Change of clothes – I like to remove things from the bag at nursery and at home so mummy never knows what’s in there. The last 2 weeks I’ve removed socks which means I get to borrow spare nursery socks when my own get too wet to wear. I don’t like wearing slightly wet socks. Also in the summer, mummy has to remember I like playing in water so she needs to put in more than one t shirt. She never remembers but I like to strip off and wander round just in my pull ups anyway. If nursery say I have to wear clothes, I have to borrow random (usually too small) nursery spares which is good fun and means mummy has to do extra washing and remember to return the spare clothes afterwards.
- Pull ups if it’s a nursery school day. Mummy and Daddy say I’m big enough to use the toilet and wear pants all the time now, but I’m too little. My key worker will change my nappy for me when I ask.
- Waterproof trousers. Mummy always puts these in the bag and I kick up if they’re not in the bag, but really I never wear them for going outside. Really I just like to put them on during dressing up because I like my Tractor Ted waterproofs.
- Hat and gloves. Mummy never knows where these are – she was cross yesterday when she found one of my gloves on the floor at nursery and the other one gone. I’m meant to put them back in my coat pockets so we know where they are. Oops
- Wellies. I like to have my wellies in my bag, but I prefer to wear them. Sometimes I have a strop when I’m being picked up and refuse to wear my shoes because I want to wear my wellies. I don’t like to leave my spare pair of boots at nursery, even though it would be ok to do that.
- Potty. I’ve started taking in my potty…it’s a way of making mummy think that I might be debating using it. I never do.
As well as all of this I like to keep things fresh by taking in whatever toy or item I’ve found. Mummy gets annoyed in the morning when I faff and can’t make my mind up.
I’ve also been known to take in the following to nursery:
- Last year’s Santa hat that I found in the bottom of my wardrobe. It’s a bit tight now, but I like hats and it makes people laugh. Plus I look cute!
- Teddies galore. Well, not teddies, but my dog, cow, blanket and Peter Rabbit. And not forgetting My Pal Scout which doesn’t fit in my drawer so I can grab it at any time
- JCB digger. I don’t think Mummy thought I’d actually take this into nursery but I wasn’t leaving it in the car. I think they were quite surprised to see it.
- My swimming badge and certificate. Of course I had to share what I’d managed to do.
I’m wondering what other things I can remember to take in next. I’m thinking I might struggle to persuade mummy that my cardboard box boat is a good idea.
What are your nursery bag essentials? What interesting things get taken in?