Some of my favourite recipes only have 3 or 4 ingredients in. Because who has time for tens of them when you’re in a rush or have people in the house shouting for food. In our house we tend to have pudding at weekends. I love summer because I can get away with just serving up strawberries and ice cream or cream (or with added condensed milk if the OH gets his way. But I’ll always make a proper dessert on one weekend day.
I tend to recipe book flick until I find quick and easy and I remembered the baked ricotta cakes.
Now we like cheese in our house, and I’ve usually got mascarpone cheese as well as hard cheeses in the fridge as staples. But ricotta did mean a trip out to the shops. What’s great about the 3 ingredient baked ricotta cakes (other than the speed and number of ingredients), is that if you’ve got berries that need using up, it’s a great way to make use of them for the sauce.
I’m lazy, and quite often buy a sauce, but you can make your own.
Strawberries – chopped, reserve a few
Raspberries or any other berries, half if large
- Put into a pan over a low to medium heat, and cook through until slightly broken up.
Either blitz with a hand blender til smooth or just leave chunky.
Serve hot or cold with the ricotta cakes (or ice cream)
3 Ingedient baked ricotta cakes
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
2 eggs, whites only
60ml runny honey, plus extra according to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C, 160C fan, GM4
- Beat the egg whites until they’ve increased in volume and are soft peaks
- Beat the ricotta until smooth
- Add the egg whites to the ricotta and mix until blended
- Pour in the honey and mix in.
- Lightly grease 4 ramekins and place on a baking tray
- Divide the mix into the 4 ramekins, bash lightly on the bottom to smooth the tops, and bake for 20 minutes until lightly browning on top and cooked underneath.
- Turn out onto plates or bowls, and serve warm with berries and sauce. Add cream if you want a little more luxury.
The portions are pretty small, so if you’re greedy then double up. I made ours in Gu little glass ramekins, and the OH had 2 of them. But one was fine for me.
These are lovely summer desserts. And as spoken by N
‘Mummy, you can make these again. They’re the best puddings you’ve ever made so I want to have them all the time’