As I’ve said before N loves music. Most sorts, although he’ll turn his nose up at songs he’s previously liked, and then states he likes other music he previously didn’t like. The prerogative of 3 year olds.
He must take after me. Although the OH likes rock, with a bit of random Top of the Pops 2 thrown in for good measure, I prefer much more variety and have studied music in the past quite a bit. So I’m always trying to encourage N’s love of music.
In the past he has had a couple of children’s nursery rhyme cds, probably because they came free with magazines. But they’ve been quickly forgotten about, by N because he prefers more upbeat music, and by me because they’re so sickly sweet, and/or don’t really sound like I remember the nursery rhyme to me. So when we were offered some cds and DVDs from Kids’ Music Shop to review I wasn’t sure what would turn up.
To say N loves them is an understatement. They’ve pushed Peppa Pig to the back of the queue (result!). In the morning as soon as he wakes up, he takes himself downstairs and puts the dvd in that he wants to watch.
His favourites are the Never Smile at a Crocodile and Wheels on the Bus DVDs. Each Kids Music Shop DVD has around 20 tracks on it, ranging from classics to some more modern ones (ever heard of Big Fish, Little Fish, Cardboard Box as a song?!). The songs are sung, acted and danced by Tony, Emma and a group of children, and are filmed in and around Lancashire…I play spot the places I’ve visited, and N now knows about Blackpool Tower and the fact I’ve danced there before.
N loves them because:
- There’s lots of variety in the songs
- He can dance or act along
- The songs are really catchy
I think they’re great because:
- They’re aren’t too cheesy, and make me chuckle
- The songs mostly use the proper tunes, and they sound like normal songs with backing tracks rather than a sickly sweet high pitched female singer
- N can learn better language, pick up and remember songs, get active (or he could if he got up and danced along with me!).
N seems to really enjoy the hornpipe and pirate songs, of which there are a couple on the dvds, and I’m getting used to him deciding which tracks he wants to watch. We were also sent the 6 CD Children’s Favourite Songs. I think they’re great for the car, or downloaded onto my ipod for long journeys. They’re nice enough songs for the whole family to listen and sing along to.
I’ve not yet told N about the YouTube channel so I’ll keep that quiet for a bit, otherwise I’d never have access to my computer, but go and check it out to see a few of the songs on offer.
On the website, I’ve also noticed they do personalised CDs with the child’s name included in the songs which are great for gifts, as well as a kids disco cd complete with reworks of Don’t Stop Moving and other ‘pop’ songs. Great for a younger child’s birthday when you don’t want to really be playing age-inappropriate pop songs without realising it.
I also have a couple of items to giveaway to 2 winners. One is the Twinkle Twinkle Little Star dvd, and the other is the 6 CD set of Children’s Favourite Songs. To enter, simply leave a comment with your answer to the question, and come back to enter via the rafflecopter widget. There’s various optional entry methods if you’d like to increase your chances.
Terms & Conditions
- UK entry only, over 18s
- Giveaway closes 11.59pm 17th January 2015
- Entries will be validated according to the rules of entry
- There are 2 prizes – one of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star music dvd and one of Children’s Favourite Songs 6 CD set.
- The data of anyone that enters won’t be passed on to any third parties or used for any unsolicited marketing communications.
- The 2 winners will be randomly chosen, and will be shown on this post, with further notifications shared on social media.
- The winners will be notified via email, and will need to respond with their postal address within 2 weeks otherwise a further winner will be drawn.
- The prizes will be sent out within a month of receipt of winners’ details.
- Giveaway may be featured on Loquax, The Prizefinder and Superlucky Me
Disclosure: We were sent some Kids Music Shop DVDs and Cds for the purpose of review. All opinions and words are my own.