It doesn’t matter how you toast your sandwiches, a toasted sandwich a.k.a toastie, has to be one of the best foodstuffs out there. Getting the toasted sandwich fillings right can be the making of a great meal, not just a good lunch.
Toasted sandwiches can be a meal in itself, and can be so much more interesting than just a plain sandwich (although they’re pretty good too). As someone eating low carb at the moment, I do miss a toasted sandwich, mainly when out and about and needing something for lunch. Because most cafes just don’t cater for anyone who doesn’t eat bread. Low carb replacements just aren’t the same!
They’re already versatile. At the basic level a toastie is just sliced bread and filling toasted. But you can stretch this to replace the bread with flatbreads, bagels, paninis and other types of bread products.
Personally, I love white bread toasted for the best flavour, but wholemeal, seeded and grain bread. Any way it comes, works. Fillings are a more personal preference and I have to admit to being fussy about how much of a filling there is.
*Ad – contains affiliate links
Cheese is pretty much essential in a toasted sandwich otherwise you don’t get that stretchy gooey cheesy texture and taste. I also want to be able to taste the cheese and not have it overwhelmed by the other fillings. It’s all about the perfect ratios. At my old work cafe, I used to ask for a panini – cheese with tuna, rather than tuna and cheese. Because otherwise, I’d end up with way too much tuna mayo and only a tiny sprinkling of cheese. That wasn’t acceptable.
As for toasting your sandwich, a toastie maker* is obviously going to give that lovely triangle sandwich style. But I love a toastabag* for ease and convenience at home (you just need a wide enough toaster opening and bag if you’ve got bread over medium width). I also use my George Forman grill as a panini grill. Griddle pans work well, or basic frying pans. Just remember to spread a little butter on the outside of your sandwich to help toast the bread.
And if you want a real shortcut and don’t want the insides to go all sloppy and warm, do like my son does, and just use toasted bread to sandwich it, rather than making a proper fully toasted sandwich. (My food vice used to be hotdogs in a toast sandwich. Delicious, although not good food!)
Maybe you’re not as particular as me, but here’s some 50 of the best toasted sandwich ideas to try.
50 best toasted sandwich fillings
Savoury fillings for toasties
- Ham and cheese
- Tuna and cheese
- Mozzarella, pesto and tomato
- Mozzarella, pesto and chicken
- Cheese and tomato
- Cheese, onion and rocket (or baby spinach)
- Roasted pepper and avocado
- Pineapple, cheese and chilli relish or salsa
- Baked beans
- Ham, cheese and pineapple
- Brie and cranberry
- Brie, grape and prosciutto ham
- Coronation chicken
- Mozzarella and sweet chilli
- Cheese and mushroom
- Cheese and crispy bacon
- Chicken, bacon and avocado
- Chicken, brie and mango chutney
- Tomato, avocado and cheese
- Egg and bacon
- Pulled pork and apple sauce
- Sausage and egg
- Sausage, bacon and cheese
- Halloumi and maple syrup
- Halloumi and sweet chilli sauce
- Cheese, caramelised onion and bacon
- Cheese, tomato sauce and pepperoni
- Meatballs and cheese
- BBQ chicken and cheese
- Peanut butter and jam
- Peanut butter and apple
- Bolognese and cheese
- Bacon and brie
- Chicken, bacon and brie
- Sausage and ketchup
- Chicken, roasted pepper and guacamole
- Tuna, cheese and sweetcorn
- Chicken, stuffing and redcurrant or cranberry sauce
- Steak and stilton
- Cheese, mushroom and tomato sauce
- Turkey, tomato, cheese and rocket
Sweet toasted sandwich fillings
- Banana and honey
- Nutella (sandwich between cinnamon french toast bread to take it to the next level)
- Nutella and strawberry
- Pear and nutella
- Smores – marshmallow, chocolate chips and crushed digestive biscuits
- Brie, chocolate and raspberry
- Apple sauce
- Cherry pie filling
Why not finish off your lunch with my ultimate flapjack.
Let me know if you have a particular favourite in my lists, or if you’ve got some toastie ideas that have been missed off.
Like this post, try these.